Monday, October 15, 2007

First Toys for Our New Child

Today during my lunch break, I went to Big Lots and just poked around. I purchased a few toys for our new child! Because we do not know the specific age or even gender for the child that God has selected to join our family, we have not been able to buy very much at all for the child. We can't even buy diapers because the child may already be potty trained - children in orphanages are often trained very early due to the limited resources to buy diapers. Not being able to prepare for the child's arrival home is difficult. I actually feel rather guilty because when I was pregnant with Ashton, I shopped constantly for clothes, nursery decorations, and toys. This little child hardly has anything original because we don't know what to buy!

About two weeks ago, I had a phone conference with America World's Eastern European director, Kate, and she said that we needed to purchase toys for our child. She said that the toys in the orphanage are very boring and basic. The children generally love toys that move and make sounds. The biggest problem is trying to determine what toys to buy and where to pack them.

What did I buy? First, I found an Elmo doll with a small blankie sewn to Elmo's hand. I thought that he or she might find Elmo comforting to sleep or snuggle with. Next, I bought a round, bouncy cow that shakes and makes all sorts of noise. The last toy was a dog riding in a car that plays music and rolls across the floor. Between the dog and cow, I was about to go crazy on the drive home because every bump I hit activated the toys. No doubt about it, if the child loves toys that move and make sounds, he or she will love the cow and dog!

1 comment:

Dora said...

Those toys sound like a lot of fun and I am sure they will be perfect. But, there is no need to feel guilty about such things. No matter what toys you have for your precious child when you get him or her home they will love them. Anything will be so much more than they will have known that it will be amazing to them. And most importantly, the love that you and your family will show them will be above and beyond anything that child will ever have known that will shine above it all. So don't worry so much about what you have or have not bought. It will all fall in to place, and you know that when you get home God will have provided for all as He always does. Just focus on that little soul that you are going to go get and bring home to your loving home.