Saturday, October 6, 2007

Yard Sale to Benefit Adoption

We had another yard sale this morning. We didn't advertise this time because the newspaper fee would be over $50.00! We posted signs at the main roads, and they worked! At times, we were flooded with shoppers. It is so weird what sells first. The items I couldn't imagine someone would want were the first things to go! I was ready to close shop by 8:30 a.m. because the sun was starting to get very hot. We made close to $200.00, so it was a productive morning!

We had a rather unusual shopper - a ferrett! I looked down just in time to see the little hairy creature scoot right beside my foot. At first, I thought it was a o'possum but then realized it was a ferrett. Ashton was fascinated by it, however he became alarmed when it tried to get into Granny's house. One of the customers took it home with her until we find-out who it belongs to.

I must tell you about one customer in particular. She had scripture references and Christian logos all over her vehicle. She had noticed our yard sale signs that stated that proceeds benefited adoption. She stated that God had blessed her with two grandchildren from Russia, so she personally knew how expensive it is to adopt internationally and not to worry because God would be sure we had enough money. Now, I didn't even mention the cost or whether or not we already had enough money. She went on and on about how much she loves God and how He always provides for her. This may be wrong, but I decided to see how much of a Christian she really is. I gave her too much change. I know that she realized the error because of the look on her face when I purposely counted the money back to her. As she turned and walked back to her car, she said, "God bless your new family." What a hypocrite!

I beg of you, please remember that people are always watching you. From my experience, those who constantly have to advertise that they are a Christian do so because their life doesn't reflect it. If this lady isn't going to behave as a Christian, then I certainly wish she would remove the license plate advertising her church and all the scripture verses and logos. It is certainly difficult to live a Christian life, but people like her do not make things any easier by casting a bad light on Christians in general!

No comments: